Light abdominal pain, difficulty in breathing. Suspect Meningitis. Can PE cause purplish rash on the chest or neck ?

Can a PE cause a purplish rash on the chest and/or neck? My sister-in-law- passed away suddenly from what the attending physician says was Meningitis . Light abdominal pain started late Friday night, difficulty in breathing at 5:00 am Saturday morning, arrived at the hospital 7:00 am, and passed away by 11:00 am Saturday morning. I know that meningitis happens fast but this sounds more like a PE to me. Any correlation between rash and PE?
Asked On : Tue, 28 Aug 2012