Life expectancy of people diagnosed with MELAS? Lost eye sight, muscle function, has psycotic episodes, dimentia

My 42 yr old friend was just diagnosed with MELAS mitochondrial disease . She has lost sight in her left eye, almost all muscle function in her hands and has lost the function of her bowels. She is experiencing psycotic episodes and dimentia. They will not let her leave the hospital!! They say she needs to be in a rehab facility!! What is the life expectancy for MELAS. I am reading 5yrs. But her hearing loss and stroke like episodes have been going on for more that 5yrs?
Asked On : Thu, 30 Aug 2012