Legally blind, albino type 1, diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa. Recommendations?

I work with children as a teacher/aide librarian and yesterday I met a 16 year old young man. He is good-looking, articulate, musical and cheerful and legally blind and getting worse. I was a metre in front of him and his vision is so poor he could not even see my outline. He is an albino type 1 (I think) is under treatment from a specialist he very rarely sees so is not getting reports he needs so he can access help at high school. His mum said he is diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa (I think that is what she said) but the specialist feels there is something more as his eyesight is worsening so quickly. From the gist of the conversation, mum and the doctors are just letting him go blind. I realise there are no magical cures but I feel sorry that this young man is condemned to this with no-one apparently doing anything to fight for him. Should I just stay out of it or would fighting to see another eye specialist be worth trying. Thanks Debbie
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013