Leg swelling, knee gave way, painful leg with brown speckling

I was walking the other day when suddenly my knee gave way and I stumbled it felt like something snapped... Now 3 days later the knee is ok but I have lower leg swelling at the bottom of my shin to halfway up my leg it is not hot but is painfull with a freckle like brown colour were it is swollen I have had trauma to this leg 10 years ago which does swell at times ie holidays I am normally active but have been doing cash office which means sitting down all week... I gave up cigs 14 weeks ago and now use an e-cig instead should I go to my GP ASAP thanks Debbie X
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012
hi, thanks for the question

Knee giving away following injury is a feature of ligament injury in the knee. most problable the ACL.
It needs proper clinical evaluation and if required an MRI scan. The swelling of the leg is due to soft tissue edema which will reduce with rest , limb elevation and cold packs.