Leg pain after fall. Applied ice. Swollen, red and hot knee and ankle. Normal?

I just fell over extremely hard on to a hard surface. The pain is excruciating, the worst I ve ever felt, like someone is twisting and pulling and stabbing my lower leg. It also feels like there is a massive amount of pressure inside my leg. The area between my knee and ankle went swollen red and hot (signs of inflammation, I know) immediately. My shin and outside of my leg went rock hard straight away. This happened about 2 hours ago. I have RICEd it with no change, if anything the pains getting worse. I can t put any weight on it with out crying out and its starting to look a tad purpley mid shin. I also got pins and needles in my foot right after the fall which won t seem to go away. I know to give it time but I am in 9/10 pain constantly and wondered if this was normal.
Asked On : Fri, 23 Nov 2012