Leg injury, unable to walk, snapping noises, swelling, bruises. Ankle fracture?

I am not sure if I sprained my ankle or possibly fractured it. I would go into the ER but I don t have insurance. I fell on Saturday and don t remember if I heard a snap. Sunday I couldn t walk on it at all. Monday it was better. But today my ankle started making snapping noises when I walk, along with still being swollen, a bit bruised, and sore.
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.
It’s very difficult to rule out fracture based on your description .My advice would be take rest, Ice fomentation, keep limb elevated and put a compression bandage (crepe bandage) along with ibuprofen and trysin to reduce pain and swelling.
You need an x ray to rule out the fracture especially hair line fracture.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.
Dr.mukesh chugh (
Orthopaedic surgeon