Leg cramps while sleeping, calf muscles ache. What is the cause of cramping?

I had sudden and severe leg cramping while sleeping...I have been on my feet much more than normal, but my calf muscles still ache today....what might hae been the cause of this cramping...I was in terrible pain .
Asked On : Tue, 13 Mar 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Most of the time, night leg cramps occur for no known reason, and they're usually harmless. In general, night leg cramps are likely to be related to muscle fatigue and nerve problems.

In rare situations, night leg cramps can be associated with an underlying disorder, such as peripheral artery disease — in which narrowed arteries reduce blood flow to your limbs — diabetes or spinal stenosis.

Self-care activities that might help prevent night leg cramps include:
- Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
- Stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes before you go to bed

Activities that might help relieve night leg cramps include:
- Flexing your foot up toward your head
- Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or with ice
- Walking or jiggling the leg
- Taking a hot shower or warm bath
- drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration
-Avoid acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium leading to muscle aches & muscle fatigue.

If your symptoms persist, consult your treating physician for evaluation and further management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day