Leg below knee bruised after falling. Shin swollen, painful when standing after having it elevated. Solution?

I fell down a flight of wooden stairs about 4 days ago. My entire right leg below my knee is bruised. The problem is that there is a large area of my shin (a sort of horizontal) band where it smacked the edge of a stair that is swollen and hard. It is very painful, especially when I stand after having it elevated. It feels like my skin is streching beyond capacity there (similar to when I was on a long flight once and my legs swelled). I try to keep it elevated and iced as much as possible but have had to go to work where I sit for 8 hours.
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013