Leg Fracture, nail in leg, leg became shorter after surgery, spine deformations. Connection between walking with shorter leg and spine deformation?

Dear Drs, 5 yrs back , my sister who is suffering from weak bones disease was exposed to a frature in her right leg. There was a nail in the leg. The doctor admitted her for operation and nail correction. After a couple of weeks of the surgery , we noticed that the right leg became shorter and with time the right leg became shorter by 5 cm. During the same period we have noticed a deformation in her spine till it reached 100 degree. My question is what went worng and led to stoppage in the growth of the leg and is there any connection between walking with shorter leg and spine deformation . Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jun 2012