Left side doscomfort and pain extending to back, muscle pull, overweight but exercising. Whats the reason?

Im a 26 years old, female. Ive been having discomfort on my left side for around 6 months now,. The pain sometimes extends to the exact same spot on my back. Almost like something tugging at both ends. My doc suggested the possible cause to be a muscle pull. The pain is not continuous but happens at regular intervals. I am slightly overweight but have been excercising regularly for the last few months. I have no allergies/ history of illness .
Asked On : Fri, 11 May 2012