Left shoulder injury, sharp pain on lifting arm, unable to move arm laterally. Treatment?

I dove for a ball and landed on my left shoulder . There was some pain but it wasn t bothering me enough to stop me from continuing to play. I could still perform normal running mechanics with mu arm . After a few hours of not moving it, I tried to lift my arm laterally but I received sharp pain. I can move my arm forward and backwards to a greater degree than laterally. I m wondering what the cause of my pain is and what I can do to fix it. Thanks.
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
First you need to make a X-RAY examination to exclude any tissue damage on your shoulder.
You can bandage your arm and make physiotherapy to facilitate your shoulder movements.
Take care of your self