Left knee acl partially torn. Can ACL be treated without surgery?

hi this is sekher age 23. i have my
left knee acl partially torn while
getting down stair case. Doctor
suggested to have rest for 2weeks
a brace with some medicine. After
completion of 2weeks i am feeling
some pain. Can ACl be treated
without surgery? What kind of
diet will
help me? What does rest means is
that not to move from my bed?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
ACL is a ligament in knee which stabilizes knee joint and prevents sliding of bones. It can be torn or sprained when sudden jerk or pivot occurs on a locked knee. Partially injured or sprained can be treated non surgically by Physical therapy,anti inflammatory drugs and pain killers. It may take many months in recovery. Surgical (Arthroscopic surgery) option is there for torn ACL and technique depends on severity of damage, 80% recover with normal function after surgery.
Hope it helps.
Take care!