Left foot operated for hallux rigidus. Small lump on toenail, painful during cold weather. Possible cause?

To WhomIt May Concern I had an operation on my left foot one and a half years ago for a condition called hallux rigidus . The operation was successful and now the foot is pain free unless weather is freezing cold . Unfortunately my right foot has not just got a problem with the toe bone as with the other foot but I seem to have developed a small blind lump on the toenail which can be agonising painful sometimes especially in the cold weather. Do you have any idea what this could be or what could be causing it?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013