Left THP, broken talus, cast on left foot, on wheel chair, have intense should and hand pain, shortness of breath, had used blood thinners. Cause?

Left THP on May 15 then broken left talus on June 23 just walking to rehab the hip which was doing great and blood thinner for 6 weeks. Casted with my left foot pointed down for 4 weeks. In wheelchair as I have bad shoulders and bad right hand. Cast replaced at 90 degrees on July 23rd -- July 29 large saddle pulmonary embolis And I had been complaining to 3 doctors about being short of breath climbing stairs for 3 weeks prior. Should I have been put on blood thinners when my ankle broke? I also have a history of leukemia , stem cell transplant with total body radiation, diabetes and on steroids for PMR.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012