Leading sedentary life. Had an acute exacerbation . Treatment not helping, why?

Hi, I am a 40-year-old male, leading a rather sedentary lifestyle . I have been having off and on lower back pain since the past 3-4 years. REcently I have had an acute exacerbation and on x-ray the following finding was reported by the radiologist: Detached osteophyte at L3 level. My ortho did not say anything, just advised me to have ibuprofen for 5 days and have warm compresses over the area. He looked at the x-ray films and not at the report. I am not doing well inspite of his plan of treatment. Please help.
Asked On : Thu, 6 Sep 2012