Late period, inconclusive HPT. Brown spotting, cramps, bleeding. What is this?

My period is 10 days late. I had a very faint positive HPT on Sunday and had a blood test at the doctors on Monday which came back inconclusive. My doctor told me I am basically pregnant but don' t have a high enough HCG count yet to confirm and that I have to wait until Friday to have another blood test to see if my HCG levels have changed. I have had a small amount of brown spotting when I wipe after going to the toilet on and off for a few days, however just had a sharp cramp accross the lower middle of my abdomen and when I went to the toilet I had some bright red blood. The cramping is still light but no more blood as yet. Do you think this is my just my period coming or something more serious like an early miscarriage or chemical pregnancy? I live in a rural area and do not have an ER I can go to without driving for an hour. Any advice would be appreciated.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013