Late and irregular periods, regulated after using birth control, sexually active. Treatment?

I'm 17 yeaes old female and I haven't seen my period since Spring break 2013(March24).I came to the US about 3 years ago and I started to have irregular periods.I then went to the doctor and they said it was because of change in climate since I lived in Jamaica.They put me on birth control then it began to regulate again.Now I'm kind of getting worry because I don't know what else to do.I'm sexually active, I'm 5"9 and I weigh 215 lbs.Please help in any way possible.Thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Irregular periods can be due to : (1) inadequate diet (2)excess physical activity
(3)emotional or physical stress
(4)abnormal level of thyroid hormone
(5)abnormal level of prolactin
(6)polycystic ovarian syndrome- this condition is diagnosed if 2 out the 3 following characteristics are present: (a) irregular or delayed periods (2) cysts in the ovaries seen on ultrasound (3) signs or symptoms of increased levels of male hormones -acne, chest or facial hair, increased levels of testosterone in the blood. This can be treated by weight loss and medication.

You should consider visiting your doctor to determine the cause.

I hope this helps