Large vein popping out above ankle, painful. What could be the reason, Achilles tendon?

My 12 year old son has a large vein popping out just over his heel above his ankle. (It s on the back of his foot ). He said it hurts to walk. He started conditioning for football 2 weeks ago and I m not sure if that vein has always been bulging like that, the other foot does not have it. the veins on top of his ankle bone also are bulging on the same foot. Is it normal or should I have him checked? Could it be his Achilles tendon??
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012