Large semi soft lump in right thigh, tender to touch. Any ideas ?

We have discovered a large lump/mass. About the diameter of a quarter and Semi Soft to very hard in the middle of it. located in my wifes right thie. if you were facing her where her legs would touch would be 3 oclock and ths front point facinf you would be 12 oclock it is located about the 2 oclock area. It is deep under the skin at least an inch, not to close to the surface and very tender to touch. Any idea. I have her agreeing to see our physician next week but in the mean time I thought I would ask you.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013