Large scrape and massive bruising in shin after fall, sever swelling in ankle and foot. Signs of infection ?

My husband had a 16 4x6 fall and hit him in his shin leaving a large scrape and massive bruising in that area. It s been 4 days and the bruising and swelling is pretty severe on his ankle and foot . I ve been treating the abrasion with saline wash and peroxide and keeping it covered with a surgical pad that we change out daily. I am concerned that he needs to see a doctor and could be in danger of infection or blood clot formation. Should he see a doctor?
Asked On : Mon, 12 Nov 2012