Large lump on upper back close to shoulder blade. What could be it?

My fiance has a large lump on his upper back close to his shoulder blade and it has been there for years. Right now it is about the size of a golf ball, but sometimes it will get smaller and almost be non existent. I have squeezed on it before and it will pop and drain and that is when it gets smaller. However he tried to have me pop it this time and it will not pop. He said it was sore this time and it is red around it. I have been looking online and it looks like and sounds like it is either a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma. What would you think it would be and what would you suggest he do? I could send a picture of it so youcan see it. Thanks!
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013