Large area missing on shin few inches below knee after hit during soccer. Treatment ?

My son plays soccer in high school. He had occasion during the season that he was hit on his shin a few inches below the knee . After bruising and swelling , he finished the rest of the season without much issues. Now, after the season has finished, he noticed a large area (about the size of half a golf ball) is missing from this area. It is quite painful still to rub his finger over the area. He just never quite noticed it until the season was over. What are the likely issues and treatments. I assume i should see and ortho soon.
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Dear Mr Shawn

Get a proper regular medical dressing for the injured area, if it is more deeep needs evaluation by ortho specialist for surgical grafting....................