Large abscess removed with medications, advised compresses, nausea since starting antibiotics. How long to use compresses ?

5 days ago I had a large (golf ball size) infected (had 4 red selling around it) abscess removed at an ER out of town while on vacation. The site is on my upper back thigh, midway between buttock and knew. The ER doc said it was staph. He gave me scrips for Bactrim DS (2x day for 5 days) and Cipro (2x a day for 5 days); while in the ER, I was given intravenous antibiotics , too. I flew to another vacation spot the day after ER drainage. 3 days ago I had the packing removed at an Urgent Care clinic; the doc said it looked good, tole me to continue meds and do hot compresses a few times a day, redressing afterward. I have experienced nausea mild to strong (but no vomiting ) since starting the antibiotics; I ve taken Cipro before with no side affects, so I assume it s the Bactrim. I only have 1 more day (today) so will tough it out. My question is: how long (days) do I do the compresses and when can I take a bath? I m showering now, with dressing on, then remove dressing and have it changed (husband is doing this). The dressing always has some pinkish blood on it...not enough to seep thru bandage and not dark red. Is this normal, and for how long? Is the point to let a scab form, or are the compresses to keep a scab from forming....when do I just let it dry out? I won t be home for another 5 days (at which time I ll visit my regular doctor).
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013