Lack of family understanding and stress. Advice?

Hi I,m Harry, I lost my job about two years ago and was out of work for about ten weeks. And went back to work but for almost have the money I was making and have been very nervous about money every sense. I,m 54 years old and now have almost no retirement? I have tried to get my wife to help out financially? But she says thats the mans job! I,ve said this is not the old days when only the man provides that this is a 50/50 relationship and she needs to help? BUT this situation has made me very irratible and i know i,m taking it out on her at times and her me. Sorry about the spelling? she does baby sit her grandchild for 150 a weekand thats her money? Her money is her money and my money is her money?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are going through a stressful period with your financial problems as well as misunderstandings with your wife. Unfortunately, financial matters are one area which result in misunderstandings and problems between husband and wife.

In such situations, if both persons continue to be adamant in their stands, it is difficult to arrive at a productive solution. Moreover, it will only lead to more stress and difficulty. It may be a good idea to allow the situation to "cool off" for sometime, so that both persons will be subsequently in a calmer and more stable state of mind to talk, discuss, and resolve issues.

It may also be a good idea to visit a marriage counsellor, in order to help smoothen out the misundersandings between you and develop a more trusting and understanding relationship.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist