Knot on shin, growing bigger in size, leg pain, no skin discolouration. Causes for symptoms?

I have a knot on my shin that I never injured and has grown bigger over the years it is starting to send painful sharp pain through that part of my leg when I walk. It is very hard feels like the bone but like a half of a circle on top of the bone. There is no discoloration you can just see this lump on my leg, very obvious because others have asked me what it was. Do you know what it is?
Asked On : Wed, 17 Oct 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would suggest you to orthopaedic surgeon and get x ray of leg. If there would be any bone swelling then it will be diagnosed on x ray. If it is not seen there then it is soft tissue swelling. It can be diagnosed by FNAC. Till that time, hot water fomentation is also helpfu.