Knot on outside of knee, painful. What could this be?

Hi, I play football and I wrestle. Since my 8th grade year iv had knee issues. Always at the end of the seasons especially this one ( senior year football second round state playoffs) I begin to have a knot on the outside of my knee. I have a constant dull pain throughout the whole practice and the rest of the night. When im not running or being active on it, it causes no problems. The more the pain the bigger the knot gets. Even slightley pressing down on the knot causes discomfort. What could this be? I have talked to the 3 trainers at our school and none can really give me a straight forward answer.
Asked On : Sun, 18 Nov 2012
The small knot near your knee is likely to be due to an inflammatory problem. Overstress and exertion usually increases such swellings. taking mild pain killers and doing a hot fomentation will help in relieving the symptoms.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal