Knot on neck, coughing, soreness on knot, redness, warmth. What could this be?

I noticed a knot on the left side of my neck about 3 months ago. I went to my family doctor who has scheduled me to see an ENT doctor. Over the last few weeks, I have started coughing more, and I feel some soreness around the knot. Sometimes the knot feels very warm, and sometimes there is some redness where the knot is. What could this be?
Asked On : Sun, 20 May 2012
Dear sir/mam,
The knot on your left side of neck that you are complaining about may be an inflamed lymph node. Your other symptoms (cough and warmth) indicate that there is an inflammatory or an infective process going on in the body. It requires blood investigations and a thorough clinical examination to detect the source. I suggest you meet your ENT doctor as soon as possible.