Knot, bruising, swelling in ankle after injury. Applied ice. Blood clot or fracture?

Hi! My husband was cutting wood around a week ago when a log fell on his leg between his knee and ankle. At the time it didn t bother him. Once he got home he had a good size knot. It looked like you had put a golf ball underneath the skin. Now, almost a week later, he still has a knot, brusing and swelling from the knot to his ankle. He is elevating and putting ice on it. Could it be something more serious like a blood clot or a fracture? Thanks for your time and consideration.
Asked On : Sun, 11 Nov 2012