Knee pain when lifting it, no swelling, no pain when walking. What could it be?

The outside of my knee has a sharp pain when trying to lift sideways or if my foot is placed on the floor and I try to push it in the direction of the other foot without actually moving the foot another example is when when siting and I try to lift my foot up and place it on my other knee) this pain is most intense at the knee but also shoots up my leg and down my leg also. There is no swelling of my knowledge and it doesn't hurt when I walk. Do you know what it could be and should I be concerned?

Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, based on your description of pain, it could be of extra articular (outside the joint) origin either from the muscles or ligaments which specifically hurts only during certain movements. You can try few analgesic antiinflammatory medicines (pain killers), local application of hot fomentation along with analgesic gels. If your symptoms are not resolving within a week, you may need an orthopedic surgeons consultation. Regards