Knee pain, unable to climb stairs, stand for long, locking of legs. X-ray shows patellofemoral pain syndrome. Treatment?

For the past couple of years I have been having discomfort in both my knees. Then I began having problems walking up and down stairs, doing any type of sports and standing for long periods of time. As time went on, my legs would lock and give out. Recently, I fell at work and ended up going to the e.r. After getting the results of my xray , the dr. told me that it looked like I had patellofemoral pain syndrome . The dr gave instructions to use ice packs, leg exercises and to wear a knee sleeve. The exercises are done at least twice a day. I have been following orders for the past couple of weeks but it seems that the condition has not changed. My knees look as if there getting bigger with some deformity and it s even harder to walk up a flight of stairs. What could be the problem?
Asked On : Wed, 16 May 2012