Knee pain, swelling, difficulty bending it. Applying ice packs. History of knee injury. Treatment?

Hello, after a BBQ in the woods (moist weather), my knee started to hurt and to swell little bit. I have trouble bending it all the way but it has gotten better after applying ice packs and some ointments. This is the fourth day it I still have problems with it. What could this sudden swelling mean? The knee was injured two years ago but fixed itself... Thanks!
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would like to suggest you to get MRI of the knee joint to see if there is any damage inside the knee joint like meniscus tear or ligament injury.I would also recommend you to wear knee brace and do not walk fast or jump. Apply ice to knee and compression bandage. Also take Brufen for pain relief.