Knee pain on bending, walking up stairs, cracking sound, twisted knee. Treatment?

I am 14 years old. I have been playing basketball a lot recently and my knees have been hurting. Whenever i bend down, my knees hurt, and then there is a loud crack. Sometimes when i walk, my knees feel weird and out of place. There is also some pain when i am just walking up the stairs. I have had the cracking problem for about 4 months and it got worse recently when i twisted my knee playing basketball.
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
It looks to me that you may have torn your meniscus. It is shock absorber cartilage present in knee joint. I would suggest you to get MRi of the knee joint to confirm the diagnosis. Till that time avoid bending your knee too much or squatting or sitting cross leg. If MRI shows any tear then you will need surgical procedure.