Knee pain, numbness, tingling, burning sensation. Home treatment?

I went to a knee specialist regarding knee pain referred to the right side of my leg, causing some numbness, tingling and at times a terrible burning over a 3x3 inch area and tenderness under right kneecap (caused by a fall over a month ago)... he advsd this is caused by a branch of the sapphic nerve that goes across under the knee; he sd to fix it, use a lotion and rub very hard under the knee cap where it hurts the most. I tried but that causes very excruciating pain... He never said how many times a day or if any other way is ok other than if i preferred to try Physical Therapy (which wld be costly for me) .... would this home treatment still work if I could add some icie first to cause cold numbness so i could try that treatment with less severe pain reaction, or is there another home treatment I could try for this please?
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013