Knee pain causing difficulty in sitting crisscross and with butt on ankles. Arthritis?

I find there are several yoga poses I m unable to do, because of pain in my knees. I can t sit criss cross (it would be fine if I could keep my feet pressed against each other, but folding them under my legs causes knee pain ). I also can t sit with my butt on my ankles (again knee pain prevents me from getting my knees to bend that far). I am a 48 year old woman. Could it be arthritis? I don t seem to have any other issues regarding joints.
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012