Knee pain after small linear tear of the Patella tendon, Tendonitis, and minor Chondromalacia

Hello, 3 months ago I was diagnosed with a small linear tear of the patella tendon, tendonitis, and minor chondromalacia . My Ortho recommended rest, ice and ibuprofen. 2 months later I am not any better. I can only walk about 1/2 mile before being in pain and lately it feels like my kneecap is the top of a childproof medicine bottle and someone is pushing down on it and twisting it. Also when walking and changing direction my knee sometimes locks up. I made a follow up appointment, but can t the earliest available is 2 weeks. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to lessen the pain. The ideal rest isn t really and option as I have a 3 year old who wants mommy to play outside ALL of the time. I am 37 years old, 5 3 , and 188 pounds. I am currently in weight watchers but not seeing that much weight loss due to the inability to exercise. THANKS!!!
Asked On : Thu, 9 Jun 2011