Knee pain after an injury, pain after running or lifting heavy weights. Will this cure on its own?

Hello, Exactly a week ago I fell at my figure skating class on my knee doing a jump, but it really wasn t a hard fall. My knee has been hurting ever since, expecially after I run in gym class, or when I am carrying heavy weights, for example my books, and walking up stairs. I can walk, it is stable and never showed any signs of swelling or bruising. However, I cannot do anymore jumps because I have to land them on the leg with the hurt knee, and it is somewhat painful. I am icing it and elevating it when I sleep , everyday, but it has been the same pain all week, never getting worse nor better. Would this heal on its own, or do I need to do something else besides icing and hope for the best?
Asked On : Mon, 14 May 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would suggest you to meet a orthopaedic sugeon and examined your knee as their is chances of knee ligament or meniscus damage. If he ask get MRI of the knee as well. This will give us complete picture about knee injury. If examination shows no internal abnormality then you can safely continue with Rest , Ice and painkillers.