Knee pain. Advised, small wear and tear in the cartilage.Can t fold. Cure and medicines for treatment

I have been suffering with Knee pain(only in the Right leg Knee) for 2 years and gradually increasing. My family doctor said it is due to small wear and tear in the cartilage and advised me to do some physical exercises and walking on plain areas to strengthen the knee joint. Still the pain is increasing and I can't fold the Right Knee properly and sit for long period. But no problem while walking and standing.
Doctor would u pl suggest the solution / medicine for my problem?
K S Naidu
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013