Knee is constantly hyper-extended with fibular head popping on standing, advised screwing fibular head. Effective?

When i was 20, I saw an orthopedic surgeon for my right knee . i had played volleyball for seven years and it was bothering me after highschool. The surgeon told me that besides himself only two other doctors that he knew of in the state had seen what was wrong with my knee. When i stand my right knee is constantly hyper-extended and the fibular head pops in an out. I was told that it is because my tendons are too long and stretched out. Their recommendation was if i wanted to get it fixed would be to screw the fibular head in and i would not be able to move my foot from side to side. i would like to know that is true or if my tendons could be shortened, so the bone would not pop out anymore. i would also like to know what this condition is called because i can t remember and my doctor never seems to answer me. thank you
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012