Knee injury, throbbing pain, previous injury in same area. Should I use heat or ice?

I hit my knee about half an hour ago on my driveway. The edge I hit it on is jagged and is kind of sticking out. (Hard to explain) It hurts really bad and won t stop throbbing. A couple months ago I fell down the steps to my basement on the same general area ( left side of my knee). I can t really walk on it and I can t extend it all the way or bend it very far. If It doesn t feel better by the morning should I stay home? Until then should I use heat or ice? Any other tips would be helpful.
Asked On : Thu, 18 Oct 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I think you should see a doctor and get it x ray. It can be a minor crack in the bone. Also till that time take ultracet tablet for pain relief , Diclofenac ointment and ice application. You should not try to bend your knee and apply compression bandage.