Knee injury, tenderness, painful, swelling, clicking noise when walking upstairs. What could be wrong?

Hi! i am a 19 yr old female. I play rugby. Around 2 or 3 months ago I got tackled and landed pretty hard on my knees. My left knee since then has been extremely tender and each time I play it becomes very painful and swollen again. Whenever I walk up stairs my left knee makes a clicking noise and if I touch and feel my knee it feels like a grinding sensation inside my knee. I ve been icing my knee after each game and the next few days following. It is uncomfortable to walk on it at times but not necessarily painful or impossible. I have started going to the gym again. Running on the track feels fine, however I went on a stationary bike and everytime i rotated the pedals I felt pain in my knee, almost as though it was going to crack, but it never would. Games are over for the next few months now. What could be wrong? Would it be best to take advantage of the break and just rest or would it be best to go see a doctor or physio? Thankyou!!
Asked On : Thu, 18 Oct 2012