Knee injury, limping, swollen calf. What problems should we be alert for?

Last week my dad had a tree trunk hit him in the side of his knee/ calf . He was barely able to stand on it but has gradually been able to add weight. Now it is just a limp. It was bruised but that went away gradually. This evening the calf swelled during his work day and then went down. He has been ben-gaying it every night. I have finally convinced him to see a physician. What questions/problems should we be alert for? Deep vein thrombosis , etc?
Asked On : Sat, 16 Jun 2012