Knee injury due to fall on ice, swelling, pain. Tried icing it. Dead knee or something more serious?

My son banged his knee playing hockey. When he tried to get up he kept falling down. When he finally got off the ice the coach had him walk it off because he called it a dead knee. My son was able to walk it off and play again. Now that we are home it has started to swell a bit and he said it aches. What should I do. I already put ice and elevated it. Do you think it s dead knee or something more serious.
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013