Knee injury causing persistent swelling below knee cap, bruised shin. Treatment?

I damaged my knee playing football. Basically falling hard, immediately there was some pain, but i was able to carry on playing, not noticing any drastic problems. the next morning, i noticed a small pronounced swelling just below the knee cap, and my shin was severely bruised, despite not hitting that. Doing research i thought this was a ganglias. I went to the doctors and saw the nurse who told me it might be inflammation and to take ibuprophen. the bruising was caused by the impact off the bang to the knee, and blood going down my leg under the skin. There is not much pain present, but am concerned that after 2 weeks, the swelling remains. The best way to describe the swelling is 1cm2 directly below the knee at the top of my shin, similar to what you’d see with osgood schlatters but slightly to the inside. It s quite firm, but not bone and doesn t move.
Asked On : Thu, 31 May 2012