Knee feels stiff, squishy and loose. how to get rid of these symptoms ?

I am a 27 year old female. I play roller derby and I am very active I have never had any major knee issues, we do wear knee pads, but we fall a lot. The other day I was in a game and I fell very hard on one knee, I tried to get up and really couldn t right away. As I was able to pull myself up i felt pain and stiffness. later on in the evening it started to swell and become immobile. I went to the ER, they ruled out any breaks, and said it probably a bad torn ligament and that i should ice and and use an ACE bandage. they said it could take a couple weeks, I do not have any health insurance and can really not afford to take multiple trips to the doctor. It has only been two weeks and I do see improvement, but it still feels loose, squishy, and stiff- but not too painful. Any advice that you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your thoughs and comments.- Marissa
Asked On : Thu, 7 Apr 2011