Knee cap on bending post a fall, feeling of pebble on the knee cap that is increasing in size, pain increasing day by day. Surgery required?

I fell straight down on one knee years ago. it was sore for a few weeks. but ever since i cannot kneel on it. there is a small hard pebble inside my skin on my kneecap. it is now getting bigger, more like the size of a ziti (pasta). it hurst even to brush against it. it feel like theres a needle in my knee. the pain is getting worse every year. i think i may need surgery. what do you think?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Jun 2012