Kidney stones, severe pain in ureter. Tried acupuncture, homoeopathy. Treatment options?

I have had a kidney stone for about 4 months, and have been patiently waiting for it to pass, using acupuncture and homeopathic remedies, in addition to prescription meds and a huge amount of water to try to get it to pass It is not causing me undue pain, just chronic, nagging pain in the ureter , where it appears to be stuck. I would rather avoid surgery if possible, but wonder how long is long enough to wit before going that route. Thanks,
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013