Kidney stones. Ultrasound shows calculus in midpole of left kidney. Cause of worry?

Hi doctor, My USG report showed 5mm calculus in the midpole of left kidney . and doctor prescribed me with normaxin as he told that the pain fore stone is unbearable..but as my pain is mild and sometimes pinching in nature it may be due to gas.. Is there anything to worry about the 5 mm calculus???will it require a surgery?
Asked On : Sun, 9 Sep 2012
Nephrologist 's  Response
Hello, 5mm calculus usually doesnot cause any problem. Surgery is not needed at this stage. But you need to take certain precautions. Drink plenty of water, Avoid/minimize intake of junk foods, meat, cola, excess dairy products. By taking these precautions, you can reduce risk of recurrent stone formations. Wish you good health.