Kidney removed due to cancer, pus leaking from incision, sever pain. Infection?

My wife had a kidney removed due to cancer and the incision poped open leaking a larg amount og puss. We are now wet to dry packing the wound per her Dr. the past week s gause has been green when removed, and is getting worse looking. Her Dr. has implied that all is well and her severe pain where the kidney was is not real. Her pain is severe enough that she cant sleep. Dr refuses pain meds. Is it possable there may be a infection in the void where the kidney was, or could the pus cause this much pain?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013