Kid having hives on face, chest, neck. Diagnosed skin writing. Tried benadryl, on steroids. Problem, treatment?

My 10 yr old has had gives on his face a couple times since October. We tried Benadryl but it had no effect. He is now get hives on his chest back neck in the joints of his arms at least monthly. He goes on 2 days of steroids and that helps but it is reoccurring frequently. His face hasn't had hives but it gets bumpy and remains skin colored. Our doctor has diagnosed him with skin writing. And sent a referal to a specialist. What else should I be doing what else could it be.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013