Joint pain, swelling on knee and toe area, high uric acid level. No relief with medicines. Gout?

hello One of my relatives is suufering from Joint pain and swelling on the knee area and the part near the toe of both of his feet. It has been since last one month, the doctos couldn t diagnose him accurately. I think he has a attack of Gout . His uric acid level in the blood test shows to a higher level. he had been taking medicines but without any results. So please can you suggest me a suitable diet for him and whether the symptoms are really related to Gout or it is some other disease? he doesnot drink alcohol nor consumers non-veg food. he takes simplyveg food and consumes apples. Please suggest me as to how what kind of blood test i should conduct for him and what kind of doctor will be suitable for him. We stay in mumbai. Please help.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jun 2012